What: Digitization Panel Discussion
When: Saturday, May 13th from 10:00am-12:00pm
Where: Dampeer room at the Case Western Reserve University Kelvin Smith Library
Is your institution digitizing materials? Do you have a project you’ve been itching to share? Maybe you’ve experienced a project that didn’t go so well that others could learn from? Do you have experience choosing or maintaining a system related to your digitization program? The Cleveland Archival Roundtable is planning a digitization projects program and invites proposals for participation in a panel discussion to be held on Saturday, May 13th from 10:00am-12:00pm in the Dampeer room at the Case Western Reserve University Kelvin Smith Library.
Panelists will speak for approximately 10 minutes on a digitization project or topic, and will then take part in a panel discussion guided by questions from the audience.
In particular, we are interested in covering the following topics:
- Methods for choosing and evaluating tools and systems like digital asset management systems, metadata tools, and access systems. We would like to cover a variety including products like CONTENTdm and PastPerfect, homegrown systems, and open source systems like Islandora. Which systems and tools worked well and why? Which systems and tools didn’t work so well?
- Digitization for internal constituencies, i.e. corporate archives or the digitization of materials that can’t be shared with the general public.
- Methods for selecting materials for digitization, creating workflows, providing access, and lessons learned.
We are looking for diverse perspectives from archivists representing different types and sizes of archival institutions such as:
- Institutions with established digitization programs
- Institutions just starting digitization programs
- Lone arrangers
- Corporate archives
If you are interested in participating, please send a presentation title and brief description of your topic to Susan Hernandez [firstname.lastname@example.org] and Bill Barrow [email@example.com] by March 24th, 2017.