The Donald Peterson Student Travel Award Subcommittee invites applications from archival science students and recent graduates of archival programs. The award subsidizes travel to the SAA Annual Meeting for students presenting research or actively participating in an SAA-sponsored committee, section, or roundtable.
Award and application information follow below. The application deadline is February 28, 2017. If you have any questions regarding the award or the application process, please contact Rachel Howard, Donald Peterson Student Travel Award Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purpose and Criteria for Selection
Established in 2005, this award supports students and recent graduates from graduate archival programs within North America to attend SAA’s Annual Meeting. The goal of the scholarship is to stimulate greater participation in the activities of the Association by students and recent graduates. This participation must include either a presentation of research during the Annual Meeting or active participation in an SAA-sponsored committee, section, or roundtable.
Awarded to an SAA member in good standing who is currently enrolled in an archival education program or who graduated from an archival education program in the previous calendar year. Applications are evaluated based on the merits of the applicant’s essay and letters of recommendation.
Sponsor and Funding
The Society of American Archivists, in honor of Donald Peterson (1908-1999), New York lawyer and philatelist, whose deep appreciation of world history and preservation developed early through his stamp collecting and held true throughout his life.
Up to $1,000 in support of registration, travel, and accommodation expenses associated with the SAA Annual Meeting.
Application Form and Documentation
Submit three copies of the following to the address on the application form:
- A 500-word essay describing the applicant’s career goals and potential impact on the archival profession.
- Unofficial transcript to verify student status or copy of graduate diploma.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals having definite knowledge of the applicant’s qualifications.
- Application form
February 28, 2017
Posted in Announcements | Tagged SAA | Leave a Comment »
The Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board announces the availability of grants between $500 and $5,000 to archival institutions to fund projects to preserve and/or provide access to Ohio’s historical records. The grants are funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), an arm of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) through their State Board Programming Grants. Projects eligible for funding in 2017 include:
- Assessment and Strategic Planning: hiring consultants to identify needs and priorities for improving the organization, description, preservation and access to collections.
- Access, Arrangement and Description: identifying, organizing, and improving access to historical records.
- Preservation: purchasing archival file folders, archival boxes, dehumidifiers, humidifiers, hygrothermographs, or HEPA vacuum cleaners.
- Website Development: Adding collections to online catalog, developing virtual archives, or creating an on-line database. Websites designed to support access to researchers (e.g., online catalogs, finding aids, and digitized collections, rather than curated web exhibits) will receive preference in funding.
Grant applications are due February 28, 2017. More information on the grants, including the application packet, is available here. (http://www.ohrab.org/grants/regrant/)
Posted in Announcements | Tagged grants, NHPRC, OHRAB | Leave a Comment »
At 6pm on November 15th, the Cleveland Archival Roundtable met at the John Carroll University’s Northeast Ohio Broadcast Archives (NOBA). We held a business meeting and took a tour of the facility. Below are the minutes of the business meeting.
- New Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ClevelandArchivalRoundtable/
- Tentative schedule of events and call for participation
- Octavofest October 19 reports from UCI libraries if anyone is in attendance (Clark, Dittrick, Gund, Ingalls, Kelvin Smith)
- December 8, 2016 NEO-RLS Day for Special Collections workshop. Daytime program
- January 13, 2017 SAA MPLP workshop at Kelvin Smith Library. Daytime program
- Spring 2017 Program focusing on digital projects and programs at local institutions. We would like this to be a daytime program, promoted as a professional development opportunity. Suggested locations include the Cleveland Clinic and CMA. We could solicit speakers via email and/or Facebook or directly. Daytime program.
- ACTION ITEM: We need someone to spearhead this meeting/program
- April 5-8, 2017 MAC annual meeting, Omaha
- Spring 2017 SOA annual conference
- Summer 2017 casual summer meeting/picnic. Possible locations include Bedford Historical Society and Garfield historic site. Daytime program.
- ACTION ITEM: We need someone to spearhead this event
- Leslie will contact Drew Rolick to see if he would like to help with this event
- July 23-29, 2017 SAA Annual conference, Portland OR
- Fall 2017 program on electronic records. Reach out to ARMA for assistance, ideas, possible collaboration. We would prefer a case study format by institutions that are at various stages of implementing e-rec programs. Daytime program.
- ACTION ITEM: Reach out to ARMA, perhaps through the Clinic archives.
- October 2017 MAC fall symposium
- Spring 2018 workshop/presentation on grant writing and funding opportunities by the Foundation Center. Daytime program.
- ACTION ITEM We need someone to spearhead this event and reach out to the Foundation Center.
- Jill Tatem expressed an interest in planning this event
- Summer 2018 Casual summer meeting/event at Cleveland Blues baseball game
- ACTION ITEM: Contact Jeremy Feador, Cleveland Indians archivist and Cleveland Blues member, about this possible event at the appropriate time.
- Other meeting ideas
- Proposed: Cooperative/collaborative archival collecting in NE Ohio vis a vis institutional missions, collaborations, and funding
- Margaret Burzynski-Bays elaborated on her ideas for this type of program and possible accompanying institutional directory. The group discussed suggestions for enhancing collaboration.
- Suggestions from the group
- Organizational structure and dues
- The Steering committee is working on an organizational structure that will include dues for participating members, formalizing the makeup of the steering committee, and holding elections. Members can expect these changes to be enacted for 2018.
- CAR OHRAB member representative discussion [Meghan Hays]
- Meghan spoke about the board’s role and the search to fill empty seats which are currently appointed by the governor. The board is interested in having representation from local organizations. Meghan will craft a call for participation that will be sent to CAR members.
Posted in Meetings | Tagged Cleveland Archival Roundtable, Northeast Ohio Broadcast Archives | Leave a Comment »
Is reducing your processing backlog at the top of your to-do list? Need help implementing “concrete strategies” for robust processing rates? Then save the date and sign up now for the SAA MPLP workshop coming to Cleveland in January, 2017
Registration is now open for the SAA Workshop: “Implementing “More Product, Less Process”
When: January 13, 2017
Where: Kelvin Smith Library, Case Western Reserve University
Early-Bird Registration deadline: December 13, 2016
Posted in Announcements, Events | Tagged CWRU, Kelvin Smith Library, SAA, Society of American Archivists | Leave a Comment »
Please join us for the fall meeting of the Cleveland Archival Roundtable from 6:00-8:00 PM on Tuesday November 15th at the Northeast Ohio Broadcast Archive on the campus of John Carroll University. We will begin with a brief business meeting to bring you up to date on the steering committee’s plans for the next couple of years followed by a tour of the archive. Look for details about the meeting location and parking shortly.
You can now access information about CAR and local and national archival events on our new Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ClevelandArchivalRoundtable ! Like the page and feel free to post your archives’ programs and events, discussion topics about archives, questions about archives, and basically anything about archives. The page is in addition to our blog and email blasts. Enjoy!
Posted in Announcements, Events | Tagged Cleveland Archival Roundtable, John Carroll University, NOBA, Northeast Ohio Broadcast Archives | Leave a Comment »
The Ingalls Library at the Cleveland Museum of Art is excited to announce the launch of its book digitization program, which will allow anyone with internet access to use its collections. The library is focusing initial digitization efforts on its holdings of rare and unique lace and armor books in the public domain. Over 100 volumes are currently online and accessible through the Internet Archive. The library also submits metadata records to the Getty Research Portal, which is an authoritative, worldwide resource that provides one-stop multilingual access to art history texts, rare books, and related literature without restriction. The Portal currently has over 20 contributors including the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Gallica – Bibliothèque nationale de France, and the Smithsonian Libraries.
The library uses the i2S SupraScan Quartz A1 overhead book scanner to produce high resolution scans. PDF access copies are then uploaded to the Internet Archive, links are added to the local catalog, and MARC records are submitted to the Getty Portal.
The Ingalls Library and Museum Archives offers comprehensive access to art information and serves the general public, students from every school and degree level, independent researchers, and all museum departments. With more than 500,000 volumes of scholarly publications in many languages covering all periods and geographic areas of art history, and institutional records and manuscript collections, the library has been the museum’s foundation for research since opening in 1916. For more information and to search the catalogs visit library.clevelandart.org.
Posted in Announcements | Tagged cleveland museum of art, Digitization | Leave a Comment »
The Ohio Library Council presents Ohio History Day 101: The Experience of History Day in Ohio Webinar. Ohio History Day is a year-long research project that engages students in grades 6-12 . The webinar will discuss the overall benefits and logistics of the program.
When: August 11, 2016 @ 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Shoshanna Gross, State Coordinator, Ohio History Day, Ohio History Connection
- Deanna McDaniel, Media Specialist, Genoa Middle School Library, Westerville, OH
Sponsored by: OLC’s Subject and Special Collections Division
Register @ my OLC | Deadline to register August 4
Member: $20* | Non-Member: $40
*Individual members or staff of OLC Institutional member libraries
For more information visit: http://olc.org/event/ohio-history-day-101-experience-history-day-ohio-2/
Posted in Announcements, Events | Tagged Ohio History Day, Ohio Library Council | Leave a Comment »