Feeds:
Posts
Comments

When: Saturday, May 13th from 10:00am-12:00pm

Where: Dampeer Room at the Case Western Reserve University Kelvin Smith Library, 11055 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106

What: Please join the Cleveland Archival Roundtable for our spring program, a digitization projects panel.  Panelists will discuss topics such as choosing and evaluating digitization tools and systems, digitization for internal constituencies, selecting materials for digitization, creating workflows, and providing access to digitized materials.  A panel discussion will follow the presentations, bring your questions!

Space is limited.  Please RSVP to Susan Hernandez at shernandez@clevelandart.org.

Logistics

We will be meeting in the Dampeer Room on the 2nd floor of the Kelvin Smith Library [colored blue-grey on this map]  You must present a photo ID to enter the library. You can find the Kelvin Smith Library on our Interactive Campus map – select KSL from the list and the map will display KSL and surroundings: http://www.case.edu/maps/

Although sometimes free, there is a charge for Garage Parking in the lot under the Kelvin Smith Library on weekends if there is a special event in University Circle; sorry we cannot validate for this.  Enter the lot from East Blvd. and follow the signs to enter the library from the garage. Parking is also available in the Cleveland Museum of Art garage off Jeptha Drive if you don’t mind the walk across to Kelvin Smith.  On street metered parking is free on weekends but is limited.

Coffee and water will be provided.

Presentation Summaries

Helen Conger, Archivist, Case Western Reserve University

Scanning textual documents—what we’ve done and are doing at CWRU Archives

The presentation will briefly review the scanning techniques used over the last dozen years, decisions regarding scanning specifications, metadata, and workflow for textual documents. The speaker will highlight several projects and how they informed decision-making and the regular review of digitization techniques. The speaker will include a description of equipment used.

—–

Virginia Dressler, Digital Projects Librarian, Kent State University

Adapting Omeka for Special Collections and Archival content

An overview of how Omeka is currently used at Kent State for digital collections, which will include a summary of recent enhancements to better represent the archival arrangement in a digital environment. This will include discussion of the adaptations to the admin interface and ingestion process, as well as the changes to the user interface.

—–

Meghan Hays, Local History Librarian, Shaker Heights Public Library

So Many Digital Projects, So Little Time: Prioritization Challenges of a Lone Arranger

As a part-time “lone arranger” with many duties, Meghan will discuss prioritizing digitization projects and cultivating collaboration and partnerships with donors, grant makers, and volunteers.

—–

Melissa Hubbard, Head of Special Collections and Archives, and Stacie Williams, Team Lead, Digital Learning and Scholarship, Case Western Reserve University

Archives Power to the People: A People’s Archive of Police Violence in Cleveland

During the 2015 SAA conference, a group of archivists connected with Cleveland activists to launch the digital archive A People’s Archive of Police Violence. Since then, the archive has been managed by local activists with ongoing support from professional archivists. As a case study, this presentation will explore the ways that digitization and digital archives skill sets can be used to support community projects that originate outside of traditional institutional contexts.

—–

Joanne O’Dell, Senior Librarian and Archivist, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland

Throwback Thursday: Thank you for your memories!

Partnering with the Employee Communications Department at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, the archives posted 8-15 unidentified images to a “Mystery Collection” in CONTENTdm on the first Thursday of each month for 3 months in 2016. Employees were invited to add tags to identify the images; names, dates, and other applicable information.

What: Digitization Panel Discussion

When: Saturday, May 13th from 10:00am-12:00pm

Where: Dampeer room at the Case Western Reserve University Kelvin Smith Library

Is your institution digitizing materials?  Do you have a project you’ve been itching to share?  Maybe you’ve experienced a project that didn’t go so well that others could learn from?  Do you have experience choosing or maintaining a system related to your digitization program?  The Cleveland Archival Roundtable is planning a digitization projects program and invites proposals for participation in a panel discussion to be held on Saturday, May 13th from 10:00am-12:00pm in the Dampeer room at the Case Western Reserve University Kelvin Smith Library.

Panelists will speak for approximately 10 minutes on a digitization project or topic, and will then take part in a panel discussion guided by questions from the audience.

In particular, we are interested in covering the following topics:

  • Methods for choosing and evaluating tools and systems like digital asset management systems, metadata tools, and access systems. We would like to cover a variety including products like CONTENTdm and PastPerfect, homegrown systems, and open source systems like Islandora.  Which systems and tools worked well and why?  Which systems and tools didn’t work so well?
  • Digitization for internal constituencies, i.e. corporate archives or the digitization of materials that can’t be shared with the general public.
  • Methods for selecting materials for digitization, creating workflows, providing access, and lessons learned.

We are looking for diverse perspectives from archivists representing different types and sizes of archival institutions such as:

  • Institutions with established digitization programs
  • Institutions just starting digitization programs
  • Lone arrangers
  • Corporate archives

If you are interested in participating, please send a presentation title and brief description of your topic to Susan Hernandez [shernandez@clevelandart.org] and Bill Barrow [bill.barrow@yahoo.com] by March 24th, 2017.

The Donald Peterson Student Travel Award Subcommittee invites applications from archival science students and recent graduates of archival programs.  The award subsidizes travel to the SAA Annual Meeting for students presenting research or actively participating in an SAA-sponsored committee, section, or roundtable.

Award and application information follow below.  The application deadline is February 28, 2017.  If you have any questions regarding the award or the application process, please contact Rachel Howard, Donald Peterson Student Travel Award Committee Chair, at jody.thompson@library.gatech.edu.

Purpose and Criteria for Selection

Established in 2005, this award supports students and recent graduates from graduate archival programs within North America to attend SAA’s Annual Meeting. The goal of the scholarship is to stimulate greater participation in the activities of the Association by students and recent graduates. This participation must include either a presentation of research during the Annual Meeting or active participation in an SAA-sponsored committee, section, or roundtable.

Eligibility

Awarded to an SAA member in good standing who is currently enrolled in an archival education program or who graduated from an archival education program in the previous calendar year. Applications are evaluated based on the merits of the applicant’s essay and letters of recommendation.

Sponsor and Funding

The Society of American Archivists, in honor of Donald Peterson (1908-1999), New York lawyer and philatelist, whose deep appreciation of world history and preservation developed early through his stamp collecting and held true throughout his life.

Prize

Up to $1,000 in support of registration, travel, and accommodation expenses associated with the SAA Annual Meeting.

First Awarded

2006

Application Form and Documentation

Submit three copies of the following to the address on the application form:

  1. A 500-word essay describing the applicant’s career goals and potential impact on the archival profession.
  2. Unofficial transcript to verify student status or copy of graduate diploma.
  3. Two letters of recommendation from individuals having definite knowledge of the applicant’s qualifications.
  4. Application form

Application Deadline

February 28, 2017

The Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board announces the availability of grants between $500 and $5,000 to archival institutions to fund projects to preserve and/or provide access to Ohio’s historical records.  The grants are funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), an arm of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) through their State Board Programming Grants. Projects eligible for funding in 2017 include:

  • Assessment and Strategic Planning: hiring consultants to identify needs and priorities for improving the organization, description, preservation and access to collections.
  • Access, Arrangement and Description: identifying, organizing, and improving access to historical records.
  • Preservation: purchasing archival file folders, archival boxes, dehumidifiers, humidifiers, hygrothermographs, or HEPA vacuum cleaners.
  • Website Development: Adding collections to online catalog, developing virtual archives, or creating an on-line database. Websites designed to support access to researchers (e.g., online catalogs, finding aids, and digitized collections, rather than curated web exhibits) will receive preference in funding.

Grant applications are due February 28, 2017.  More information on the grants, including the application packet, is available here. (http://www.ohrab.org/grants/regrant/)

At 6pm on November 15th, the Cleveland Archival Roundtable met at the John Carroll University’s Northeast Ohio Broadcast Archives (NOBA).  We held a business meeting and took a tour of the facility.  Below are the minutes of the business meeting.

 

  1. New Facebook page  https://www.facebook.com/ClevelandArchivalRoundtable/
  2. Tentative schedule of events and call for participation
    • Octavofest October 19 reports from UCI libraries if anyone is in attendance (Clark, Dittrick, Gund, Ingalls, Kelvin Smith)
    • December 8, 2016 NEO-RLS Day for Special Collections workshop. Daytime program
    • January 13, 2017 SAA MPLP workshop at Kelvin Smith Library. Daytime program
    • Spring 2017 Program focusing on digital projects and programs at local institutions. We would like this to be a daytime program, promoted as a professional development opportunity. Suggested locations include the Cleveland Clinic and CMA. We could solicit speakers via email and/or Facebook or directly. Daytime program.
      • ACTION ITEM: We need someone to spearhead this meeting/program
    • April 5-8, 2017 MAC annual meeting, Omaha
    • Spring 2017 SOA annual conference
    • Summer 2017 casual summer meeting/picnic. Possible locations include Bedford Historical Society and Garfield historic site. Daytime program.
      • ACTION ITEM: We need someone to spearhead this event
      • Leslie will contact Drew Rolick to see if he would like to help with this event
    • July 23-29, 2017 SAA Annual conference, Portland OR
    • Fall 2017 program on electronic records. Reach out to ARMA for assistance, ideas, possible collaboration. We would prefer a case study format by institutions that are at various stages of implementing e-rec programs. Daytime program.
      • ACTION ITEM: Reach out to ARMA, perhaps through the Clinic archives.
    • October 2017 MAC fall symposium
    • Spring 2018 workshop/presentation on grant writing and funding opportunities by the Foundation Center. Daytime program.
      • ACTION ITEM We need someone to spearhead this event and reach out to the Foundation Center.
      • Jill Tatem expressed an interest in planning this event
    • Summer 2018 Casual summer meeting/event at Cleveland Blues baseball game
      • ACTION ITEM:  Contact Jeremy Feador, Cleveland Indians archivist and Cleveland Blues member, about this possible event at the appropriate time.
  3. Other meeting ideas
    • Proposed: Cooperative/collaborative archival collecting in NE Ohio vis a vis institutional missions, collaborations, and funding
    • Margaret Burzynski-Bays elaborated on her ideas for this type of program and possible accompanying institutional directory. The group discussed suggestions for enhancing collaboration.
    • Suggestions from the group
  4. Organizational structure and dues
    • The Steering committee is working on an organizational structure that will include dues for participating members, formalizing the makeup of the steering committee, and holding elections. Members can expect these changes to be enacted for 2018.
  5. CAR OHRAB member representative discussion [Meghan Hays]
    • Meghan spoke about the board’s role and the search to fill empty seats which are currently appointed by the governor. The board is interested in having representation from local organizations. Meghan will craft a call for participation that will be sent to CAR members.

Is reducing your processing backlog at the top of your to-do list? Need help implementing “concrete strategies” for robust processing rates? Then save the date and sign up now for the SAA MPLP workshop coming to Cleveland in January, 2017

Registration is now open for the SAA Workshop: “Implementing “More Product, Less Process” 

When: January 13, 2017
Where: Kelvin Smith Library, Case Western Reserve University

Early-Bird Registration deadline: December 13, 2016

Please join us for the fall meeting of the Cleveland Archival Roundtable from 6:00-8:00 PM on Tuesday November 15th at the Northeast Ohio Broadcast Archive on the campus of John Carroll University. We will begin with a brief business meeting to bring you up to date on the steering committee’s plans for the next couple of years followed by a tour of the archive. Look for details about the meeting location and parking shortly.

You can now access information about CAR and local and national archival events on our new Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ClevelandArchivalRoundtable ! Like the page and feel free to post your archives’ programs and events, discussion topics about archives, questions about archives, and basically anything about archives. The page is in addition to our blog and email blasts. Enjoy!